Which suggests a tedious but useful project in which somebody goes through the underlinings etc and tags them in some digital text in such a manner that those fragments can be extracted into a distinct document that can then be compared with Keats’s text. A nice project for an undergraduate with DH interests.

I suspect that we would not discover many new things from this exercise. Comforting in the sense that it tells us to trust the accumulated knowledge of generations of readers. On the other hand, having that knowledge in an accessible form adds some value.

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of William Oram <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 8:29 AM
To: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Keats's Spenser

And a beautiful job by Harvard in photographing the book.  Thanks again, Ken.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Susanne Woods <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Fascinating.  Thanks for sharing the link, Ken.

Susanne

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Kenneth Gross <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Something for an idle hour, which others may already know -- Harvard has put high resolution digital images of Keats's copy of Book I of FQ online.  Here is the link:

https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:14638555$1i<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__iiif.lib.harvard.edu_manifests_view_drs-3A14638555-241i&d=CwMFaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=0Ll4mU5c-pxcBsyiKeayS1dPi129-xhosZlib6jK9TM&s=3CmAny-yyRzjQ3mvUxX-Cs_07s3UotXHqEEwiVr0_Xo&e=>
It's the whole of Book I, in the 1715 Hughes edition of the poetical works.  No written annotations, but there are many under-linings and bracketings of lines and whole stanzas which are themselves fascinating to contemplate, just to think of Keats's eye (and ear) taking them in, taking lessons from them.  I suspect other books have similar marks, but they're not online.  The whole set is in the Houghton Library Collection, part of a bequest from Amy Lowell.
Ken

--
William Oram
Helen Means Professor of English