From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Chesney
Sent: 18 November 2016 10:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Our principles re digital technology

Thank you for all the positive responses on this issue so far – it’s clear there is a need for a discussion and a need for ‘outputs’ that will guide us. It’s also clear that there has been a lot of thinking around this issue already and we have resources and expertise to guide us.
I like Helen’s outline of our ‘responsibilities’ which signal some of the priorities, and any discussion around digital ethics in an educational context will need to look at our rights as well.
 Learning analytics at the moment mainly focusses on students but we need to anticipate the consequences of what the technology can monitor, analyse and predict and what we think is acceptable for our students, ourselves and our colleagues. An example of where a discussion about digital ethical principles would serve us well is using Microsoft API<https://www.microsoft.com/cognitive-services/en-us/apis> to gauge, record and analyse the reaction of a student while being taught. Would this have implications for peer observation practices? This information, once captured, could potentially be a very sensitive part of an individual student’s and an individual tutor’s data set.
Phil, thank you for sharing the Learning Analytics code of practice - it is a valuable and necessary document and I have had some productive conversations with Jisc on their blog.
I wonder if we still need something more than a code of practice at this moment in time. The language in the code is, at points vague e.g. there is frequent use of the word ‘appropriate’.  I’m assuming the code of practice was intentionally written this way so that there was room for institutions to interpret the code dependent on the context. However, to underpin any code of practice we need to agree our digital ethical principles as educators and developers, and use this to inform and support institutional decision making around the use of digital technology.  I am concerned about the risk that an institution’s definition of legally ‘appropriate’ isn’t aligned with our definition, which should be informed to a large extent by our pedagogical principles and values. Some of the most difficult discussions may well be over practices which are legal but (in the opinion of some) not ethical.
What do others think?

Sarah