From: email list for Radical Statistics [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of John Whittington [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 November 2016 12:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hospital beds

At 11:52 16/11/2016 +0000, Galbraith, Jane wrote:
>Are hospital beds physical beds or are they beds + nurses?  I seem to
>remember wards being closed due to staffing shortages or cuts which
>reduced the number of beds available.

That certainly does happen, but I don't know how that is handled as far as
statistics are concerned - i.e. whether they talk about occupancy as a
percentage of physical beds or 'available' ones.  I would suspect the
latter - and that is, of course, what matters operationally to those trying
to find a bed for a patient.

The opposite often happens with doctors, particularly surgeons - the
rate-limiting factor in terms of getting elective operations undertaken is
often bed (or maybe nurse) availability, rather than surgeon availability.

Kind Regards,

John

Dr John Whittington,       Voice:    +44 (0) 1296 730225
Mediscience Services       Fax:      +44 (0) 1296 738893
Twyford Manor, Twyford,    E-mail:   [log in to unmask]
Buckingham  MK18 4EL, UK

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.