Hi everyone,

At the 2017 European Geosciences Union General Assembly (23–28 April 2017,
Vienna), I'll be organising a course about communicating science to
audiences hard to reach. You can read the short description below to find
out more about the session.

I'd like to put together a panel of scientists and science communicators
who can give some tips and tricks to conference participants (mostly Earth
scientists) about how to communicate with people who are not generally
interested in science or who tend to snub experts. I'd also like the panel
to provide concrete examples of cases where they have engaged with this
type of audiences.

A typical example would be climate scientists who have engaged with climate
sceptics, such a Ed Hawkins or Tamsin Edwards
<http://www.climatechangenews.com/2014/10/03/climate-consensus-scientists-and-sceptics-briefly-suspend-hostilities/>.
But I am also looking for other examples of outreach to and public
engagement with audiences who would not usually take part in science
festivals or attend science talks and debates.

Would anyone on this list have suggestions of scientists (especially Earth
scientists) or science communicators I could invite to take part in the
session? Or could you point out examples of public-engagement activities,
either in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, aimed at reaching the hard to
reach?

Best wishes,
Bárbara

*--*
*Science communication in the age of Brexit and Trump: how to reach the
hard to reach*
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2017/session/25125

You know how to discuss and communicate science with your peers. You may
even know how to talk about climate science with your friends, or convince
those willing to hear that they should care about their natural
environment. But what about the hard to reach, such as those who snub the
experts or those who are not interested in science? This short course will
explore ways in which scientists and science communicators can reach out to
this difficult and diverse audience.

--
Dr. Bárbara Ferreira, Media and Communications Manager

European Geosciences Union (EGU)
EGU Executive Office
Luisenstrasse 37
80333 Munich, Germany

Contact: +49 (0)89 2180-6703, [log in to unmask]

Find out the latest in geoscience research on GeoLog (http://geolog.egu.eu/)
& the EGU Network & Division Blogs (http://blogs.egu.eu/)

You can follow the EGU on Twitter at https://twitter.com/EuroGeosciences &
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanGeosciencesUnion

Check out the new Imaggeo (geosciences image database) at
http://imaggeo.egu.eu/

   EGU General Assembly 2017
    Vienna, Austria 23–28 April
   For journalists: media.egu.eu

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send reqests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)