Dear Gunnar,

Yes, you are right, I imagined that David was implying that he was using a
different approach to a similar problem. How did I image that? I followed
the rules of implication that are common in my many discussions with other
academics. Do I have justification for doing this? I am off my
Beta-blockers today so I am working twice as fast?

The benefit that one might expect from rule systems (I here imply the
unstated comparison = rules compared to intution) is that people can learn
and get better at operations over time - they can become experts and
achieve vastly superior results. The stupidity of Apple design making
claims to intuition is caught up in this differentiation. When Windows 8
came out, there were many YouTube videos point out how Grandma couldnąt
open the operating system because she didnąt know how to slide the screen
up. Ha Ha the Mac people said, itąs not intuitive.

Well Ha Ha Mac people, the stupid iPod needs all kinds of stupid
non-intuitive attention that could be done in vastly superior ways if they
bothered to follow existing understandings (rules) and added slight
modifications - like hey, maybe there is an escape key - or even perhaps,
the iPad Pro keyboard (which is the ugliest piece of raincoat plastic)
might be allowed to function as a full-on keyboard?

In visual communication that requires high levels of readability and
comprehension (90% of people understand 90% of the message) it would seem
better to be explicit in forming rules rather than groovy in implying
stumbling across press the home button twice to get to your iPad because
we have now copied Android but we donąt want to look like boring Android
users because they arenąt intuitive and anyway, who needs a back button?

So, there is a fundamental tension in the literature, related to this
field, in terms of rules-based design (you must become literate in some
ways) and affordance-based design (you just know what to do because itąs
blatantly obvious).

keith

On 17/11/16, 12:25 pm, "PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD
studies and related research in Design on behalf of Gunnar Swanson"