​Changing subject line: too many articles in the earlier thread

I do not like speaking of error or failure. I prefer to speak of learning.

As I like to say, Scientists  don't say the have "failed."  Instead, they
say "that didn't work Let me try something different."​

In the case of the Goal-oriented, constraint based system I described
(Autodesk's Dreamcatcher), the system never makes what anyone would call an
error because it should be thought of as making suggestions.

The designer passes judgements, encouraging some directions, discouraging
others. Think of it as critiquing.

In that sense, the system is learning from its "errors".  That is, it soon
learns which directions to avoid and which to pursue. (It uses a learning
method called "genetic algorithm": basically, it uses the machine version
of sexual reproduction, sharing parts of its code with others that produced
good results, shunning the code of others that have given poor results.
Sex, but without any pleasure.

=====

​You (David) said: "Could we teach a machine to recognise the value of
errors and mistakes?

I (and my colleague of several decades ago, Jim Reason) argued 30+ years
ago that there were two kinds of errors: Slips and mistakes. So it is not
appropriate to speak of "errors and mistakes." A mistake is a special kind
of error/

A slip is when the action performed is not what was intended.  A mistake is
when the intention itself is wrong: mistakes are far more serious and more
difficult to detect.

Don
​

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:03 PM, David Sless <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Making errors and mistakes is important. I know we sometimes think of
> errors as examples of dysfunction. I think, particularly in area like
> design or poetry or painting, errors and mistakes are essential as part of
> the process of making things. They are productive moments.
>
> The trajectory of most software design is towards eliminating errors
> (bugs). Could we teach a machine to recognise the value of errors and
> mistakes?

Don Norman
Prof. and Director, DesignLab, UC San Diego
[log in to unmask] designlab.ucsd.edu/  www.jnd.org  <http://www.jnd.org/>

Multiple faculty positions in design at UC San Diego
http://d.ucsd.edu/jobs/