Dear All,

My attention has been drawn to the fact that none of the 104 submissions to the Works and Pensions Committee’s review (of sanctions etc)  is from a BME organisation or individual.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/work-and-pensions-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/benefit-sanctions/?type=Written

I would think black and Asian people are likely to be over-represented in benefit sanctions.  Is there a reluctance to voice complaints?  Are BME organisations / people fed up with the system and lots of other systems too and so given up complaining?   Or is it really the case that BME people are NOT suffering from benefit sanctions (any more than others)?

Does anyone have any comments?

The Oakley Review of benefit sanctions  is at: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmselect/cmworpen/814/814.pdf

Best wishes,

Suman

Suman Fernando

WEBSITE: http://www.sumanfernando.com

Visiting Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities

London Metropolitan University