Caroline Bynum suggests in Christian Materiality that there was fear of unexpected manifestations during the mass. My own research shows recommendations that the priest  check if others saw the same thing & wait to see if the phenomena (bloody flesh on the patten etc.) return to normal.

Tom Izbicki

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jeffrey Woolf <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, November 6, 2016 11:16:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Fear of Sacra

[Pls excuse the x-posting]

Throughout the Middle Ages, Jews in Christian Europe seriously neglected certain central

Observances, such as donning phylacteries and attaching parchment scrolls (mezuzot) to their

Doors. Several explanations have been suggested for this behavior, ranging from fear of

Attack by Christians (on the charge that these ritual items are used for sorcery) to the argument that

Sanitary conditions in towns and cities did not allow such holy items to be displayed or used.

I am investigating whether this neglect was also due to fear of contact with these sacred items,

Which contain parchments with God’s Name.

My question is whether there similar sentiments are ever expressed regarding Christian

Ritual items (Crucifixes, Crosses, Host wafers etc).

Thanks so much.

Jeffrey

Professor Jeffrey R. Woolf

Associate Professor, Talmud Department

Bar Ilan University

Ramat Gan 52900 Israel

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Alt. E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Cell: +972-52-274-7375

Fax: +972-2-993-4397

Author of: The Fabric of Religious Life in Medieval Ashkenaz (1000-1300), EJ Brill 2015

Editor of: Joseph B. Soloveitchik, Kol Dodi Dofek, KTAV