Dear Colleagues,

Please consider the following session for the AAIS/CSIS Conference, which will take place at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, on April, 20-22 2017:

Settant’anni e non sentirli: Ennio Flaiano’s Tempo di uccidere

Organizers: Derek Duncan (University of St. Andrews); Mattia Roveri (New York University)

Seventy years after its publication, Flaiano’s Tempo di uccidere has become a point of reference for Italian postcolonial studies. Contemporary writers on Italian colonialism - in literature, history, etc. - are in explicit or implicit intertextual relationship with Flaiano’s novel. Furthermore, Tempo di uccidere has proven to be a fertile testing ground for other innovative analyses (e.g. comparative theories, psychoanalytic, feminist readings etc.). This panel seeks to investigate the ways in which Flaiano’s novel has exercised its influence on Italian literature and culture. Have we exhausted our approaches to this versatile novel?

We are interested in a broad range of approaches and interpretations, including but not limited to the following topics:

  • Literary responses, comments, and intertextual references to Tempo di uccidere in Italian literature and cinema;
  • Violence and violation in Tempo di uccidere;
  • Political satire and irony after Tempo di uccidere;
  • Tempo di uccidere in the context of Flaiano’s versatile work;
  • Postcolonial theory and Tempo di uccidere
  • Tempo di uccidere and the Italian military missions;
  • Tempo di uccidere’s impact on the perceptions of Italy’s colonial enterprise;
  • Diary form after Flaiano's Aethiopia and its relation to Tempo di uccidere.
  • 1947 – a year of foundational narratives in Italian literature: Flaiano’s Tempo di uccidere, Primo Levi’s Se questo è un uomo, Italo Calvino’s Il sentiero dei nidi di ragno, Cesare Pavese’s Il compagno, etc.

Please send proposals including title, abstract (250 words), and short bios to [log in to unmask] by December 9th, 2016.

Sincerely,

Mattia Roveri, PhD

Visiting Scholar

Italian Department
New York University
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies