Dear list members,

Please find below the call for papers for the upcoming graduate conference
of the University of Pittsburgh's Department of French and Italian, with an
announcement of our keynote speaker.

*Mosaics: Difference, Diversity and Assemblage*

An Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference

February 24, 2017

Pittsburgh, PA (USA)

In *A Thousand Plateaus*, Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari theorize the
rhizome as a model for organizing knowledge that is unstructured and flows
out in multiple, unforeseeable directions – the rhizome privileges notions
of patchwork, multiplicity, and interaction between parts. In light of
continuing approaches to artistic production that draw on rhizomatic
thought, this conference proposes a reconsideration of difference and
diversity in French and Italian literature, film and theory. How are
representations of difference formally and textually mediated? What kinds
of artistic forms suggest a conceptualization of the mosaic, and how might
we think formally about aesthetic production as experimental and
contestatory?

From cinematic adaptations of Boccaccio’s frame tale *Decameron* to the
assemblic structure of Diderot and d’Alembert’s *Encyclopédie*, from the
combinatorial structure of Italo Calvino’s *Se una notte d'inverno un
viaggiatore* to Édouard Glissant’s *créolisation*, we invite presentations
that consider difference and multiplicity in textual, cinematic and
theoretical terms. How can the mosaic provide a model of experimentation
and innovation in literature and film, and what are the stakes when we take
difference as our object of study?

Possible topics include but are not limited to:

   - Games, puzzles and literary experimentation
   - Créolisation/créolité
   - Environmental poetics; ecocriticism
   - Approaches to sexual difference; materialist feminism; trans*; queer
   theory
   - Theories of space; mapping and cultural cartographies
   - Frame tales and *mise en abyme*
   - Interaction between text and image
   - Techniques and theories of montage and assemblage in cinema
   - Transtextuality; linguistic exchanges
   - Bodily difference; flexibility and plasticity of bodies
   - Affect theory, phenomenology and sensory experience
   - Literary and cinematic networks; production, distribution and
   circulation of texts
   - Aesthetic diversity in visual arts, performance and music
   - The politics of adaptation
   - Diversity and the global/transnational
   - Imagined communities and contact zones

Presentations will be limited to a reading time of 15-20 minutes (8-10
pages). Please send abstracts of *200-250 words*, including
department/affiliation in a Word document to [log in to unmask]
 by *January 4, 2017*. Papers can be in English, French or Italian (English
preferred). Please include “Submission: FRIT Graduate Conference” in the
subject line of your e-mail. Open to undergraduate students.

We are pleased to announce *Dr. Alison James*, Associate Professor of
French Literature at the *University of Chicago*, as our keynote
speaker. Dr. James specializes in twentieth- and twenty-first century
French literature, focusing in particular on questions of form and
formalism, the everyday and documentary, and the intersections of text and
image in experimental literature.

-Pitt FRIT Committee, [log in to unmask]