Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract for the following panel for the next SIS Biennial Conference (Hull, 27-30 June 2017).

Futurist Places: a Spatial Approach to the Avant-Garde

This panel focuses on the history and the representation of specific spaces in Futurist (and more broadly in Italian avant-garde) works and activities. Its aim is to investigate the symbolic capital of specific places (both urban and non-urban) in Futurist history and aesthetics, by considering how this capital evolved throughout time and according to different authors, subjects, events. We are particularly interested in how Futurist artists and writers represented places and with what functions and scopes, thus reshaping their symbolic capital and their aesthetic and/or political meaning. We also look for contributions that focus on conflicting representations of spaces in Futurist and other coeval authors/movements, including other avant-gardes.

Please send an abstract (250-300 words) in English or Italian and a short bio to Stefano Bragato ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) by 25 November 2016.

Best regards,
Stefano Bragato

Stefano Bragato
Rome Award, British School at Rome