An extraordinarily good summary of the "anni di piombo" is the work of
the American historian Richard Drake (University of Montana).

I believe this is the essay: "Italy in the 1960s: A Legacy of
Terrorism and Liberation,"
South Central Review, Vol. 16/17, Vol. 16, no. 4.

This one also might be good: "Catholics and the Italian Revolutionary
Left of the 1960s,"
The Catholic Historical Review, Vol. 94, No. 3 (Jul., 2008), pp. 450-475.