Dear all,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the following PICO session 'From data to model and back: bridging the gap between geological observations and numerical experiments’ (TS8.5) at EGU 2017 (23rd to 28th April, Vienna, Austria):

Session description:
Observations from the geological record have been used to develop conceptual models for Earth processes for centuries. However, Numerical modelling studies of geological processes are essential for testing these hypotheses and promoting the development of new ones. Such numerical studies, which often solve for complex equations related to non-linear physics, depend crucially on the availability of reliable geological and geophysical data to provide constraints for parameters. In addition, in order to fully maximise the impact of numerical modelling results they must be compared with real geological observations to test their validity.

In this session we encourage contributions that couple geological observations with numerical modelling to provide an insight into processes such as the evolution of the Earth surface, processes related to sedimentary basins, and modern and ancient plate boundaries. We also welcome contributions from geologists/geophysicists who have conceptual models they would like to develop into numerical models, as well as contributions from numerical modellers who would like to gain a geologists/ geophysicists perspective into their modelling results. Our ultimate aim in this session is to facilitate new collaborations between observational and modelling communities in geosciences.

We are also very excited to announce that Prof. Magdalena Scheck-Wenderoth (GFZ) will give an invited introduction presentation at the opening of the PICO.

Submit your abstract here, before 11th. January, 2017 (13:00 CET): http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2017/abstractsubmission/23657