Dear all,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session on ‘Intrusion-induced roof uplift and forced folds’ (GMPV4.9) within the upcoming EGU conference in Vienna between the 23rd–28th April, 2017. We aim to bring together scientists examining uplift above igneous intrusions that: (1) occurs at active volcanoes and indirectly records subsurface magma movement; and (2) is preserved in the rock record. Further details can be found below:

Summary

Sill and laccolith emplacement at shallow crustal levels is commonly accommodated by the uplift (folding) of overlying strata and free surface. The location and geometry of the uplifted strata, which can be termed a ‘forced fold’, typically mirrors the structure of the underlying tabular intrusion. In active volcanic settings, the inversion of data recording ground uplift (forced folding) above intruding sills and/or laccoliths is used to determine where magma is being emplaced and its volume; this technique is critical in volcano monitoring. However, intrusions cannot be directly accessed at active volcanoes and the processes controlling roof uplift and its expression at the surface are therefore difficult to constrain. Analysis of ancient tabular intrusions and overburden structure, exposed at the surface or imaged in seismic reflection data, provide an opportunity to interrogate the mechanics of folding. In addition to roof uplift, field- and seismic-based studies reveal that plastic deformation mechanisms (e.g., compaction) may also accommodate magma emplacement. In extreme scenarios, sills can be emplaced without any deformation of the overburden. It is therefore likely that the inversion of ground deformation data underestimates the location and volume of intruding magma. This session aims to bring together a range of Earth Scientists, who employ different techniques, to discuss the mechanics of roof uplift/forced folding above shallow-level, tabular intrusions. We are particularly interested in work that attempts to bridge the gap between the two currently rather disparate disciplines of active and ancient examples of roof uplift above sills and/or laccoliths.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Craig Magee (Convener)

Benjamin van Wyk de Vries (Co-convener)

P.S. Apologies for cross-posting.

Dr Craig Magee

Research Fellow,

Room 2.60

Basins Research Group (BRG),

Department of Earth Science & Engineering, Imperial College, LONDON,

SW7 2BP

UK

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Personal Website: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/people/c.magee