A laccolith?

kind regards,

Janos

On 23 Nov 2016, at 1829:, Umberto Fracassi <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Hi Craig,

hm.. quite nice!
Although you must already have been through this over and over,.. could it be some sort of mobile units? I'm suggesting this based on a) the high contrast encircling the feature (at least the one in the top images) - as if a briny texture on the outer rim, and b) the signal being somewhat disrupted beneath the larger body in the top right image.
..But, then, there seems to be some bedding, although seemingly laterally discontinuous from layering right and left of the section..

The bottom left image is perhaps even more puzzling, if possible; the bending right of the fault seems unrelated to the "collapsed" section just above the basement.. If "collapse" is not plainly wrong, then one should invoke some sort of lateral motion just above the basement - again, what remains out of a shifted mobile unit? The surprising brighter features affecting the stark reflector above seem to recall some sort of vents..

I don't know, maybe I'm entirely out of track..

Thanks a lot for sharing this!

Umberto

Dear all,

A slight plea for help here. For those who like a mystery…does anyone have any ideas what on Earth these features are??? These are time-migrated, seismic reflection images – the seabed is just about visible at the top and the sediment-basement interface is the high-amplitude reflection at the bottom. The top two images are of the same feature (two orthogonal sections) and the bottom left is a different structure at a slightly high stratigraphic level.

<image001.jpg>

We have been puzzling over these for a while and are keen to hear what ideas fresh sets of eyes may have! To avoid bias, that is all I’ll say. If you would like more information, better images, or a copy of a small cropped volume (the data is freely available) please do let us know.

We look forward to hearing your ideas!

Kind regards,
Craig Magee, Jenny Reeves, and Chris Jackson

Dr Craig Magee
Research Fellow,
Room 2.60
Basins Research Group (BRG),
Department of Earth Science & Engineering, Imperial College, LONDON,
SW7 2BP
UK

Personal Website: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/people/c.magee
Research Group Website: http://www.basinsresearchgroup.com/
Phone: +44 (0)20 7594 6510<tel:%2B44%20%280%2920%207594%206510>
Twitter: @DrCraigMagee

--
Umberto Fracassi, Ph.D.

Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
Via di Vigna Murata, 605
00143 Roma
Italy
Tel: +39-06-51860557