Hi Carolyn,

It's hard to know what's going on here, but I guess that the brain extraction applied to the functional, which is normally a little liberal, to be conservative wrt errors in motion correction.  So if the patches of non-brain are only small and the registration to the structural and standard space is good, then I would not worry about it, as you can just mask the results later on in structural/standard space.  However, if they are big areas then that isn't normal and we'd need to know a little bit more in order to help.

All the best,
	Mark