Dear John,

> Dear Jasper,
> I have DWI data (The images were acquired using a single-shot, spin echo, and echoplanar imaging sequence with twice refocused spin echo diffusion preparation (Q-ball imaging). Each series included 60 images acquired with diffusion weighting and 8 noncollinear directions.

are you sure about this? 8 non-collinear directions sounds very little, and why would you not go for 60 non-colinear directions?

> I ran eddy_correct and I calculated motion parameters and SNR. Motion is excessive!! in this data set, and as a result we need to exclude large number of my subjects (~60%) of the data. I am hopping that using "topup and eddy" to correct motion in this data set would help a bit. I did the following:
>
> The raw dwi data is in the form of nifit "dwi.nii" is a longside with "bvals" and "bvecs" within a folder named "subj1"
>
> cd subj1
> fslroi dwi.nii nodif 0 8
> gedit acqparams.txt
>
> 0 -1 0 0.0608991
> 0 -1 0 0.0608991
> 0 -1 0 0.0608991
> 0 -1 0 0.0608991
> 0 1 0 0.0608991
> 0 1 0 0.0608991
> 0 1 0 0.0608991
> 0 1 0 0.0608991
> topup --imain=nodif.nii --datain=aqu --config=b02b0.cnf --out=my_topup_results

This all assumes that the first 8 volumes are b=0, and also that the first four are acquired with an opposing phase-encode direction compared to the next four. If you run a movie on nodif.nii, what do you see?

> fslmaths nodif -Tmean nodif_mean
> bet nodif nodif_brain -m

It is better to run bet on data that has been corrected for susceptibility. In order to do so you need to augment your topup call with --iout=my_iout and then do

fslmaths my_iout -Tmean nodif_mean
bet nodif_mean nodif_brain -m

> indx=""
> for ((i=1; i<=68; i+=1)); do indx="$indx 1"; done
> echo $indx > index.txt

This index file implies that you have the same phase-encode direction for all your 68 images. Therefore it is in direct contradiction to the way you run topup above.

Can I suggest you check what the 8 first volumes are, and then write back when you have done that?

Best regards Jesper