I thought this piece by Binyamin Applebaum was pretty interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/magazine/why-are-politicians-so-obsessed-with-manufacturing.html

There are about 65,000 steel workers in the U.S. In the cotton supply chain,
there are certainly no more than 200,000 people either directly or indirectly
involved. But there are over 800,000 home health aides.

Yet when we talk about the "working class" it tends to be about steelworkers
and so on. I think it's hard to do meaningful work toward democracy in the
workplace if we're talking about workplaces that don't really exist rather
than the ones that do.

Cheers,
Reed