*Apologies for cross posting*

CFP 2017 DOPE: Dimensions of Political Ecology Conference, February 24-25,
2017, Lexington, KY

Session Title: Expanding the Boundaries of Urban Political Ecology: New
Theoretical and Empirical Engagements

Organizers: Eric Goldfischer (University of Minnesota) and Jennifer L. Rice
(University of Georgia)

Session Description: Urban political ecology (UPE) has provided, for over
15 years, a rich set of theoretical tools for situating relationships of
nature and the city within larger geographic traditions of critical theory.
At its core, UPE examines the production of uneven socio-natural
landscapes, pushing the boundary between life and nonlife, human and
nonhuman actors, while also expanding notions of “the urban” far beyond the
boundaries of any single city jurisdiction. However, most UPE case studies
tend to take as their “problem event” an environmental system or occurrence
(i.e. sewage, trees, water), meaning that the role of power in producing
and reifying social difference, while never absent, often gets read through
the social dimensions of ecological problems. The social and natural are
alway co-produced, of course, but UPE has tended to start from the point of
something understood as a form of “urban nature.” In this paper session we
ask: What would it look like to produce wider and more diverse urban
political ecologies, where the starting points of our analysis are not
always anchored in some form of urban nature, but expand towards issues
often conceptualized as purely “social”?

In this session, we seek papers that bring UPE to bear on new engagements
of the social world, both theoretical and empirical. For example, papers
might address the ecological dimensions of homelessness, health care,
education, or police brutality. Or, for example, they might utilize
theories such as metabolism and circulation embedded in UPE to think
through human-environmental constructs such as urban land rights and
transformations of urban housing and housing access. We are especially
excited to work with papers that build on the epistemological strengths of
UPE (or, to borrow from feminist philosopher Lorraine Code’s work, the
ability to “think ecologically”) to address urban inequalities which have
fundamentally ecological dimensions, yet may be thought initially through
their social ramifications as a first step. And finally, we hope to discuss
the ways in which UPE scholars work with communities (i.e. decision-makers,
practitioners, advocacy groups) who conceptualize social and ecological
problems distinctly, even as scholars might work to demonstrate their
co-constitution.

If you are interested in participating, please send an abstract and contact
information to Eric Goldfischer ([log in to unmask]) and Jennifer Rice (
[log in to unmask]) by November 25th. We will notify regarding acceptance into
the session by November 28th

--
Eric Goldfischer
PhD Student in Geography, Environment, and Society