Hi Matt,

You  have summed it up at the end with why choose an exposure model for allotments when the site is for a residential end use? In my opinion they are being overly conservative and are costing the developer money as 600mm cover is unlikely to be necessary [based on the facts given]. To be honest a large part of me thinks tough..let the developer spend unnecessary money on this as they should procure services on a quality/cost basis not just cost…the old adage “you pay for what you get” comes to mind!

So your options are [1] approve as the site will be suitable for use or [2] knock back the report as it isn’t considered best scientific practice but basically you will be telling them to be less conservative! Or [3] tell them to not practice con land and to take up something less taxing on the old grey matter and that 600mm is not necessary..I like [3] but I wouldn’t recommend it..

It is tough one and this issue has been raised on the forum before i.e. What should we do as regulators when faced with too much conservatism and potentially unnecessary remediation?

Kind regards

Dave

David Jackson

Land Quality Officer

Wakefield Council

Regeneration & Economic Growth  |  Environmental Health

Wakefield One  |  P.O Box 700  |  Burton Street  | Wakefield  |  WF1 2EB

t    0345 8506506 [Contact Centre]

m   07810152565

 www.wakefield.gov.uk/landquality