From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Gruene
Sent: 21 November 2016 11:14
To: ccp4bb
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] XDS questions

Dear Nishant,

XDS_ASCII.HKL contains corrected, scaled, but not merged reflections.
You can specifically ask XDS to merge your data, but I would not do so unless really necessary - you loose a lot of information.

I would like to offer a different opinion to Graeme's:
You can read XDS_ASCII.HKL into pointless and aimless and provide aimless with the option 'onlymerge'. This way aimless merges the data, but it does not rescale them.

XDS performs a couple of corrections in the CORRECT step, the output of which is XDS_ASCII.HKL. And while XDS is extremely well documented, I am not sure aimless takes into account how XDS treats the data. I would therefore trust the step of scaling to the same author and continue with XDS_ASCII.HKL.

Best,
Tim

Paul Scherrer Institut
Dr. Tim Gruene