Well, there’s circular permutation, but that’s somewhat different. If the arrangement of the domains is important, this also may not work. And the linkers should be important as well.

JPK

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Israel Sanchez
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] Extreme off-topic on protein expression

Dear all,

for reasons difficult to explain in a brief email,  I am interested in flipping the order of domains in a poli-peptide in bacteria.  The scenario would be a multi-domain protein, let's say containing 3 domains DI, DII and DIII, which are arranged N-ter to C-ter: DI-DII-DIII. The protein is expressed at reasonable, soluble levels in E.coli. Given that nowadays it is easy and cheap to order synthetic genes, I am planing to re-arrange the sequence of domains from  DI-DII-DIII to DIII-DII-DI. Does anyone envision any mayor problem with such a crazy idea? Any pointers to previous literature on the issue?

Thanks so much for your time and best wishes.

--
Israel S. Fernandez PhD