From: Sue Adams [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 09 November 2016 17:59
To: Pamela Birch; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Re. Charging Customers for Use of own cameras & Genealogy education

Thank you for your insights, Pamela.

I agree with some of your comments.  I am also frustrated by TV adverts and programs that suggest family history is as easy as clicking a button or can be done in an hour.  I wish such programs included a 'How we did this' section, like quality wildlife programs, that demonstrate the 1000 hours research behind the program.  I sympathise with the difficulties in getting local politicians to recognise value of your work.

With regard to your archive's policy on self service photography, I think the approach fails to respect the user's time and is an inefficient use of staff time.  Please forget photocopiers ever existed, and justify charges on current reality.

A flat fee is simple to administer, so why waste staff time on counting copies?  Please, please, please spend the staff time on the catalogue instead!

From a user or customer perspective, it is your job to make their visit as efficient as possible for them.  Even the most casual, inexperienced user deserves good service, which does not include replicating paperwork for your background purposes.  Archive retrieval systems already record which documents the user accessed.

A digital camera is as an essential research tool as a pencil and paper, so charging for documents copied by this method, discriminates against more organised researchers.  Users who only wish to copy a few documents will soon learn to be more organised - once is all it takes.  What is a 'document' in this context?  Before travelling to your archive, users need to know if a manorial court book with 500 pages is one document or 500.  Does your online catalogue record this information (likely a detailed item level description), to help users with their research?  A flat fee makes that calculation simple for the user.

I found your comments about family history and genealogy education particularly disparaging.  It seems to me that your attitude towards people who undertake family history research, and especially those who pursue genealogy education is rather disrespectful.  You have conflated traditional history with family history/genealogy.  These are separate disciplines, with different approaches and aims.  Genealogy educational opportunities are growing rapidly, with 2 UK universities offering Masters degrees.  I compared offerings in March 2015 in Time for Formal Genealogy Education?
<http://worldwidegenealogy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/time-for-formal-genealogy-education.html>

Family historians and genealogists are your core, loyal, and vocal supporters.  Why would you alienate them?  If you have any doubts about support for archives check out the Twitter and Facebook #explorearchives campaign.

Sue Adams