Dear Friends and Colleagues,

(This is a reminder that the deadline for paper proposals is November 7th)

We would like to invite paper proposals for our panel at the SIEF
conference that will be held in Göttingen, Germany between 26-30 March
2017.

Panel Title: Roads, Routes and the Terra Infirma: Distance and Place Making
through the Lens of Dwelling-in-Travelling

Panel Short Abstract
By following James Clifford's definitions of travelling-in-dwelling and
dwelling-in-travelling (1997), this panel aims to account for the
simultaneous constitution of mobility and stasis through an ethnographic
lens on the people who make a living in constant movement.

Panel Long Abstract

In his seminal work, ​Routes, James Clifford (1997) suggested to
distinguish between travelling-in-dwelling and dwelling-in-travelling. He
introduced the former in order to specifically refer to the circulation of
cultural narratives and representations, and the ways these are negotiated,
adapted, co-produced or rejected. Meanwhile the latter referred to
maintaining a life in constant mobility. It was dwelling-in-travelling that
Clifford regretted having not elaborated as much as the former, and in this
panel we aim to take the issue from where he left - that is to account for
simultaneous constitution of mobility and stasis, and to decipher the
contexts in which dichotomies of “travelling” and “dwelling” collapse.

For this panel, we invite papers based on extended ethnographic research
among travelers and dwellers of all sorts. We will primarily put effort to
identify various dwellers-in-travelling who make a living in constant
mobility such as bus drivers, shuttle-traders, smugglers, refugees or
flight crews. We expect to learn more about distance and place making in a
terrain unspecified other than routes, roads and networks through which
people and things move on and stay or left behind - or a terra infirma that
simply cannot be defined by current national borders. However, papers
dealing with novel and critical definitions of travellers-in-dwelling are
also welcome. This is why, we encourage participants to think about
travelling-in-dwelling and dwelling-in-travelling as widely applicable
contexts. Yet at the same time, we expect papers to playfully demonstrate
the extents to which travelling and dwelling - as separate terms - can be
replaced, invalidated and possibly re-defined.

To submit a proposal to the panel please follow the link:
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/sief/sief2017/panels.php5?PanelID=5047

The deadline for paper proposals is November 7th.

Kind Regards,

Convenors
- S Aykut Ozturk (University College London) [log in to unmask]
- Zoe Goodman (School of Oriental and African Studies) [log in to unmask]

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*