University of Edinburgh
 School of Mathematics and BioSS

Date: Friday 25th Nov, 15:10pm Location: JCMB 5327

Speaker: Adrià Caballé Mestres, School of Mathematics, University of
Edinburgh and BioSS

Title: Testing and estimation of sparse precision matrices in paired gene expression data

Abstract: We consider two related statistical problems that are
motivated by genomic datasets in which genome profiles are observed for
every individual in two different samples (i.e. tissues in two medical
conditions). First, we present methodology related to hypothesis testing
of the equality of two correlation matrices using two dependent
high-dimensional datasets. We exploit average of squares, extreme value
and a novel exceedances-based statistics to test the hypothesis of equal
correlations and derive their limiting distribution. As second
contribution, we study the estimation problem of two similar sparse
precision matrices and the corresponding conditional dependence graphs
for high dimensional data where observations of these matrices are
dependent. We propose a new method to estimate simultaneously these
precision matrices, a weighted fused graphical lasso estimator which
encourages both sparsity and similarity in the estimated precision
matrices. We apply the suggested approaches to high-dimensional case
studies of gene expression data with samples in two medical conditions
as healthy and colon (or lung) cancer as well as non-lesional and
psoriasis lesional tissue with the aim of discovering pathway lists of
genes that present different dependence structures between medical
conditions. We find strong evidence for a large part of the pathway
lists dependence's structures to change among the two medical
conditions. Especially, we estimate denser graph structures for lesional
(and tumor) samples than for healthy samples, with subgroups of genes
interacting together.

This is joint work with Natalia Bochkina (University of Edinburgh),
Claus Mayer (Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland) and
Ioannis Papastathopoulos (University of Edinburgh

--
There will be tea and coffee after the seminar in the Mathematics Common Room.

This seminar is a part of Maxwell Institute seminar series.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

SIGNOFF allstat