Hi Mark

Students do not need any legal documentation to change either name or gender at the point of Registry.

At Goldsmiths, we would just ask them to write a letter which states the following information:

-          Outlining their intention to transition and the gender they would like to have recorded on the system.

-          Outlining the name they were recognised as previously and the name they would like to have recorded on the system (if there is a change).

-          Outlining that they consent for this information to be used to change their official records and that they are happy for this letter to be stored on their file securely.

However, in terms of degree certification, a student would need to have legally changed their name in order to issue a degree certificate in their new name. Obviously if a student is able to provide a Deed pol’s etc. at the point of registry, it makes it a lot easier for the purpose of issuing their degree certificate at a later stage.

It is worth mentioning to students who don’t provide legal documentation of name change at the point of registry, that if they do legally change their name/gender at a later date, it would be worth providing the certificate when they receive it to ensure that this is covered.

I hope that is of some help.

Best wishes

Anna Spragg

Equality and Diversity Advisor