*Apologies for any cross-posting*

Youth Social Action: What do we know about young people's participation? - VSSN Day Seminar, Birmingham, Tuesday 22 November 2016

Reminder: Bookings open

The next VSSN day seminar is hosted by the Third Sector Research Centre at the University of Birmingham, in association with the #iwill campaign.

Visit www.vssn.org.uk/events/nov-16-youth-social-action/<http://www.vssn.org.uk/events/nov-16-youth-social-action/> for more information including abstracts and booking form.

The seminar will explore the broad theme of youth social action, which includes activities such as volunteering, fundraising, campaigning, political participation, democratic engagement and activism that young people do to help others and the environment. It will feature five papers:

·         Sarah Mills & Catherine Waite, Loughborough University, "This is our future": Youth Social Action and National Citizen Service

·         James Davis, University of Strathclyde, Eased Transitions? Young Volunteers' Perceptions of What They Gain From Volunteering in Areas of Socio-Economic Deprivation

·         Alison Body, Canterbury Christ Church University, & Eddy Hogg, University of Kent, Side by Side: A case study analysis of the experiences of young people formerly involved in a youth participation project

·         Katherine Smith, From Alienation to Participation: How Do Youth Participation Projects Bridge the Gap?

·         Janet Batsleer, Manchester Metropolitan University & Grainne McMahon, University of Huddersfield, Young feminists online: political and social participation, social action and feminist activism

To book
Please complete the booking form online at http://www.vssn.org.uk/events/nov-16-youth-social-action/  by 8 November 2016.

Cost

£35      VSSN members

£70      Non-members

£25      Concessions (for those without institutional support)

We ask all participants to register and pay for the day, including presenters and chairs, as VSSN is a network whose main funds come from members' subscriptions.

VSSN membership

VSSN membership not only gives you substantial discounts for events but also includes a free subscription to Voluntary Sector Review, our international journal of third sector research, policy and practice, published with Policy Press. Membership fees, on a sliding scale according to personal income, start at £35. To join or find out more about membership, visit http://www.vssn.org.uk/join/.

Who should attend?

VSSN aims to promote an understanding of the UK voluntary sector through research. The event is aimed at researchers, academics, doctoral students and practitioners in voluntary organisations or foundations interested in the UK voluntary sector. We also welcome policy makers engaged in the voluntary sector. We are always pleased to meet, and receive contributions from, colleagues from similar settings in other countries who are involved in the field. The working language is English.

Any questions?

If you have any enquiries about the event or the booking process please contact us at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> (i.e. don't hit the reply button to this email!).

Book soon to avoid disappointment!

We look forward to seeing you in November.

Emma Taylor-Collins
Research Associate
Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues
School of Education
University of Birmingham

Phone: 07896145373
Web: www.jubileecentre.ac.uk<http://www.jubileecentre.ac.uk/>
Address: Step Up To Serve, 202 Lambeth Road, London SE1 7JW

[jccv landscape 3]
The contents of this e-mail may be privileged and are confidential. It may not be disclosed, used, or copied in any way by anyone other than the addressee. If received in error please notify the sender then delete it from your system. Should you communicate with the sender by e-mail, you consent to The University of Birmingham monitoring and reading any such correspondence.