It struck me that this issue is not new. Indeed looking at the report on the first IWMW event in 1997 Colin Work, then of University of Southampton, gave a talk on Information Flow and the Institutional WWW.

As described at

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue11/web-focus/

Institutions may adopt a number of information management models including:

No management

An "anarchical" model, which reflects how the web initially developed within many institutions. This model facilitates rapid growth, but has many disadvantages including uneven coverage, diverse interfaces, contradictory information, uncertain responsibilities, etc.

Centralised management

The centralised management model will be familiar with managers of information systems available before the web. In this model, information has to be sent to a centralised group which is responsible for "processing" the information before it is made available. This model provides consistency in style and presentation, but does not scale well, with a potential bottleneck in the information flow.

Distributed management

In this model, responsibilities can be devolved to departments/groups, providing a more responsive and flexible service. However, the model can tend towards the "No management" model unless there are effective information policies in place with an editorial board to ensure compliance.

Things have become even more complicated since then!

Luke suggests that we should explore outsourcing solutions.  At this year’s IWMW 2016 event there was a parallel session on “Debunking the Myths of WordPress & External Hosting” – see

http://iwmw.org/iwmw2016/talks/debunking-myths-wordpress-external-hosting/

There don’t seem to be any slides available and I didn’t attend the session but I recall a number of people saying that they felt the session was very useful.  Perhaps if anyone on this list attended the session they could give a summary.

Thanks

Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus

Email: [log in to unmask]