** apologies for cross-posting **

Dear Stadtkolloquium listserv members,

We are two former Stadtkolloquium regulars and we would like to invite you
to submit abstracts to a session we organise at the next Nordic Geographers
Meeting in Stockholm.

Call for papers

*Walking Through Urban Geographies*

*Paper session at Nordic Geographers Meeting 18–21 June 2017, Stockholm,
Sweden*

*Conveners:*
Tauri Tuvikene (Centre for Landscape and Culture, Tallinn University)
Sam Merrill (Department of Sociology, Umeå University)

*Discussant:* Tim Edensor (Manchester Metropolitan University)

This session explores the ways in which the act of walking in cities can
provide avenues for studying different geographical topics: from memory and
identity construction, to neighbourhood transformation, urban legal
governance and inequalities in mobilities and beyond. It will build on the
large number of geographical studies that have already investigated
walking, and which hint towards the emergence of a field of ‘walking
studies’, by framing walking more as a departure point than a destination.
The suggestion here is that walking, although regularly present in the
purview of all sorts of urban geographers, remains for many of them a
peripheral issue. Thus this session aims to encourage scholars to pay more
attention to walking, not only in order to study the understudied — that
is, the act of walking itself — but also in order to give rise to new
perambulatory connections and through them new understandings of urban
social life. In other words, given the pre-existing scholarly interest in
walking, can we now use this particular socio-spatial practice as a means
to think (or walk) through and theorise a wider variety of different
geographical themes? To answer these questions we are looking for papers
that bring walking studies into dialogue with other – often more
established – fields of geographical enquiry by involving an array of
academics for whom walking has either been a central or peripheral concern.

We are particularly interested in receiving paper abstracts that deal with
themes such as, but not necessarily limited to:

   - The ways in which walking can serve as a method in urban geography and
   social research more broadly.
   - Walking’s methodological and thematic interface with issues of urban
   memory, heritage and archaeology.
   - The relationship between walking and histories of urban governing and
   the manner and degree to which walking has been and is governed.
   - The different uses of walking as a form of protest and its
   intersection with notions of freedom.
   - How social, economical, political and other inequalities are deepened,
   manifested and represented by walking?
   - The temporalities, spatialities and materialities of walking.

Please send abstracts of 250 words to [log in to unmask] and s
[log in to unmask] by *15 December* (please adhere to the instructions
below).

The session is currently planned as a ‘classical’ paper session but if you
have alternative ways by which you would like to present, please let us
know.