Dear Peter,

I think I am getting a much better sense of what you have suggested now.
There is one final thing I hope you won't mind explaining a bit further:
regarding the "trial" regressor, while you said it's for the whole trial,
the delay isn't included in this, correct? Thus, the 'trial' regressor
would include time points and duration for the stim_array period, cue, and
probe. The delay, on the other hand, is modeled separately (and for each
task condition - color, shape, and color+shape). Does it make sense to
"chop up" the trial like this (i.e., model events before and after delay as
"trial" while modeling the delay itself according to the task condition). I
guess it makes sense because delay is the period with the task differences
I am interested in.

I was also considering treating this as a "block design". This way, for
each trial I would model the three events including cue, delay, and probe
as a single event with a boxcar function. This way, I would have color
blocks, shape blocks, and color+shape block. I am unsure about the
stim_array as this one is similar across all three conditions (the stim
array always contain objects with shape and color). Perhaps the stim array
doesn't have to be modeled or is modeled as "trial" regressor as you have
proposed. Does it make any sense? This is a bit different from your
recommendation, which I will definitely try, but I just thought maybe this
approach is also worth a shot.

I'm sorry for taking up your time and others' here so I am grateful for the
patience and expertise that you are so willingly share.

Best

Miranda E.