Hi everyone
I know this might not be an original idea-  but I was thinking about Christmas traditions and how now that my children have grown too old to go to school I no longer get asked to contribute to the school recipe book. I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing about these - everyone contributes a recipe, a starter, a main course or a dessert, then it gets collated and we all buy a copy to raise money for chalk or whatever is needed....

Well here is my suggestion - how about an educational developer's recipe book - open to everyone to contribute. Starters will be ice breakers, main course will be ideas for running workshops or events, desserts will be ways to get feedback/evaluation.
 I shall collate and present the outcome on a website free to all - you can protect your work with Creative Commons licences.
We won't raise funds for chalk but we will end up with a collection of ideas for all to share.

So if you are interested - please send me your 'recipes' using the template inserted in this email (ie  copy and paste it into Word) to [log in to unmask]
I can't promise it will be finished by Christmas but will continue to add to the collection as long as you send me your ideas!

All the best
Celia

RECIPE TEMPLATE

Section - starters (icebreakers), main course (workshop ideas, - NB these might be small 1 to 2 minute exercises or complete 90 minute workshops - up to you), desserts (methods to obtain feedback, evaluate)

Your Name, Institution and email

Name of the recipe

Ingredients (any equipment or supplies needed for the activity)

Method (what you do)

Special Notes

Acknowledgements

References (links to scholarly articles, conference presentations etc where people can find out more if needed)

Creative Commons License that applies - https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/

WORKED EXAMPLE

Section - starters (icebreakers)

Your Name, Institution and email - Celia Popovic, York University, [log in to unmask]

Name of the recipe - When I went on holiday

Ingredients - nothing

Method - each person takes turns to say ;'I am Celia, when we went on holiday I took X (eg a bucket) with me.'  The next person says 'I am John, when we went on holiday Celia took a bucket and I took a sock.' The next person says 'I am Mary, when we went on holiday Celia took a bucket, John took a sock and I took a stuffed rabbit'... and so it goes until the whole group has had a turn. The funny thing is that as people concentrate on remembering the items they feel less anxious about the names, but also have something to act as a reminder to link to the names.

Special Notes This is particularly effective if you want to get to know names quickly with a group of up to 20  participants as it helps the participants remember each other's names too, it is silly and fun.

Acknowledgments - This emerged from a childhood game, not aware that anyone showed it to me but can't claim to have invented it either.

References - probably are some but none to my knowledge.

Creative Commons License that applies - https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/ - Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International

Please send a photo or image as this will make the pages much more interesting and attractive. A photo of yourself or maybe the recipe in action - open to you!

Celia PopovicDirector
Teaching Commons

YORK UNIVERSITY
1046
Victor Phillip Dahdaleh (formerly TEL) Building
 4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON • Canada M3J 1P3
T 416.736.2100 ext 55922 F 416.736.5704

[log in to unmask] www.yorku.ca www.yorku.ca/teachingcommons   Teaching Commons Communities of Practice - Join Now! TC Learning, Teaching and Assessment Programs
Details of my new co-edited book Advancing Practice in Academic Development can be found here: https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138854703

Latest article with Elaine Fisher - "Reflections on a professional development course for educational developers' is available online here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14703297.2015.1121160.

This electronic mail (e-mail), including any attachments, is intended only for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure. No waiver of privilege, confidentiality or any other protection is intended by virtue of its communication by the internet. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not named as a recipient, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies of it.