Here are the quotations for the coming week (Oct 30th to Nov 5th)

1. ... I hear a thud in the engine-room. Then the noise of machinery falling down—like fire-irons—and then two most awful yells. They’re more like hoots, and I know—I know while I listen—that it means that two men have died as they hooted. It was their last breath hooting out of them—in most awful pain. Do you understand?’

2. ‘Now, you wouldn’t think, would you’—he glanced off the book toward my wildly swaying dressing-gown on the door—‘that I’ve been seeing things for the last half-hour? ’Fact is, I’m just on the edge of ’em, skating on thin ice round the corner—nor’east as near as nothing—where that dog’s looking at me.’

3. " An’ then I saw—I tell you I saw—Auntie Armine herself standin’ by the old dressin’station door where first I’d thought I’d seen her. He was lookin’ at ’er an’ she was lookin’ at him. I saw it, an’ me soul turned over inside me because—because it knocked out everything I’d believed in.

The sources of the last set of extracts are as follows:

1. (My first penitent was all head-bandages—escaped from an Officers’ Hospital, Pentonville way...)  This is from "In the Interests of the Brethren" in Debits and Credits.

2. (“What’s all this?” she says. “What do you want?” “Nothing,” I says, “only make Miss Bates, there, stop talkin’ or I’ll die...”)  This is from "The Janeites" in Debits and Credits

3. (He pushed himself forward over a last pit of terror, and touched her. There was no wire, but a tough, thumb-shaped root, sticking out of the sand-wall, had hooked itself into her collar...)  This is from "The Woman in his Life", in Limits and Renewals.

In the New Readers’ Guide we have just published notes by Philip Holberton on “A Recantatin” and “Mary’s Son”.

Good Hallowe'en wishes to all

John R