From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Parsons, Georgina
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Data authorship guidelines

Hello,

Does anyone have guidance or a policy on who can be a named creator/author of a dataset? Perhaps along the lines of the Vancouver protocol for publications.

We're starting to think we need one here as there isn't full agreement on the point. Generally, this is in the case of datasets underlying publications: one point of view being that the authors should only be the project team members who were actually involved in data creation/processing, but the other being that all researchers involved in authoring the article should be listed as data creators.

The DataCite metadata schema<http://schema.datacite.org/meta/kernel-3/doc/DataCite-MetadataKernel_v3.1.pdf> says for creator: "The main researchers involved in producing the data, or the authors of the publication, in priority order" which doesn't help much, and it can be a sensitive point so we'd like to set out some guidance before getting involved in further discussions.

Many thanks,

Georgina Parsons
Research Data Manager
Information Services
Building 55, Cranfield University, Cranfield, Bedfordshire MK43 0AL
T: +44 (0) 1234 75 4548
W: www.cranfield.ac.uk<http://www.cranfield.ac.uk>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee, please accept our apology, notify the sender immediately and then delete the email. We request that you do not disclose, use, copy or distribute any information within it.

Any opinions expressed are not necessarily the corporate view of Cranfield University. This email is not intended to be contractually binding unless specifically stated and the sender is an authorised University signatory.

Whilst we have taken steps to ensure that this email and all attachments are free from any virus, we advise that, in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.