Hello

If you are a textile researcher interested in skill, please consider
submitting an abstract for our upcoming symposium ŚMissing Personsą
planned for January 2017.

Details as follows:

Call for abstracts ­ ŚMissing Persons: contemporary histories of textile
knowledge, skills, technologies and materials'

We invite applications to join a symposium on the 17th of January 2017 at
Nottingham Trent University to share on-going work that helps to
understand the various dimensions of the knowledge and skill that are
present in the field of textiles. This will build on a number of projects
at NTU, including an AHRC funded study of a lace factory, led by Tom
Fisher with Julie Botticello, and a body of work based in NTUąs lace
archive about historical art school pedagogy, led by Amanda Briggs-Goode.

We intend contributions to the symposium to be the core of a new
publication, and invite international academics and practitioners to join
us to share a variety of perspectives on this broad topic.

Questions to structure the symposium may include:
·         How can we uncover and represent relationships between craft
process and social process in textile?
·         What role can Śnewą technologies (imaging, communications) play
in representing embodied and embedded knowledge and the processes through
which they play out?
·         What mix of commercial, cultural and institutional support is
necessary to secure a future for textile heritage crafts?
·         How do we uncover and represent the Śmissing personsą in textile
heritage crafts?

The symposium focus is on knowledge and textile, but this is broadly
conceived ­ we hope the event will uncover new questions and opportunities.

Please send a 200 word abstract of your proposed presentation to :
[log in to unmask] by December the 9th 2016.

Dr Tom Fisher
Professor of Art and Design
School of Art and Design
Nottingham Trent University
Burton St
Nottingham
NG1 4BU

0115 848 8455
07809 422652

Universities for Europe ­ support this campaign demonstrating the benefit
of EU membership to universities and the UK:
http://www.universitiesforeurope.com/Pages/Home.aspx#.VyzcrWNOJSU

DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.