From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jimmy Tidey
Sent: Wednesday, 5 October 2016 10:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Google Scholar 'scraping' a citation diagram of my PhD Lit Review

Hi All,

Working on my literature review I began to wonder about how the different authors I'm citing reference each other - especially between the disparate disciplines I'm interested in. (Visualising networks of online communities is also part of my PhD.)

I built a tool to automatically search Google Scholar and draw a citation network: a diagram showing how some prominent academics I'm citing reference each other, and also where they have coauthored publications.

The results are here:
https:[log in to unmask]

It's been very useful and is guiding my ongoing research. It also, I believe, highlights the restrictions imposed by closed access academic journals - getting at this type of metadata is currently very difficult.

I'm writing to the list because I thought you might lead to an interesting conversation, particularly:

a) If others would be interested in a tool that creates these networks
b) What people think of the approach, particularly its relevance for multidisciplinary work
c) If anyone knows of any datasets with fewer restrictions than Google Scholar.

Best,

Jimmy