Dear Ken

Thanks a lot for pointing to us this excellent publication. I have just
finished reading it and it is indeed recommendable to those designers more
involved in 'structuring' artifacts, both material and immaterial.

I was particuarly pleased with the authors' mention that designing those
naturally complex entities, that meant first to 'understand the relative
costs and benefits of their respective architectures' (p. 29). And if
allowed, I would add that even prior to such necessary accountancy of costs
and benefits leading to right and full "characterisation" (pp. 22, 28, 29)
of systems to be designed, one ought to make sure first that those
envisaged systems, their components, and their architectures are and will
be totally safe to all users, safe to each individual's own systemic
architecture, both physically and mentally.

Very good "food for thought" and worth to integrate into one's practice
mode, at least for those oriented to this subfield of design. And my
earnest wish is that some higher level design institutions start training
also students to design such complex systems, those artifacts used in our
daily life. Prior to rushing to designing mudules of base+bulb+shade, and
lamps, at a prime level often skipped, I wish students would instead start
learning to conceive systems 'emerging' from necessity to illuminate
specific darkened spaces.

Once more many thanks for sharing!

Francois
Kigali