** This list is managed by Dr Evangelos Himonides (UCL), on behalf of the Society for Education and Music Psychology Research (sempre), and aims to serve as a discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. This list was previously managed by the Institute of Musical Research. **

MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

*Call for Papers + PerformancesFestival of Algorithmic and Mechanical
Movement (AlgoMech)*
*http://algomech.com/ <http://algomech.com/>*

*Arts Research Symposium*
*13 November 2016 / Sheffield, UK**£12.50 / £25*

*Draft Timetable*
9:30 - Coffee + live coding performance
10:00 - Paper session (8 papers - we will issue a call for papers soon)
12:00 - Lunch
13:00 - Panel 1 (on fictive materials - chair Derek Hales)
14:00 - Keynote talk with Godfried-Willem Raes
15:00 - Coffee with a performance
16:00 - Panel 2 (on maker culture - chair TBC)
19:00 - Performances at the Millennium Gallery

*AlgoMech*
AlgoMech will celebrate a resurgence of making in performance, where
creative processes are made visible during a live event. Rather than
presenting technology as seamless, we pick at the seams, exposing its
innards as human-made and reconfigurable. We will also go beyond
fashionable notions of technology to take the long view; bringing together
mechanical, kinetic, electronic, and software arts, from periods spanning
the stone age to present day, building a picture of the human maker as both
digital and analogue, thinking and feeling, embodied yet reaching beyond
what is bodily possible. The festival will take place across Sheffield, and
will include concerts, talks, hands-on workshops, and a club night.

*Call for Papers*
The AlgoMech Arts Research Symposium takes place within the Festival of
Algorithmic and Mechanical Movement, on the 13th November 2016 at the
Sheffield Hallam University in Sheffield, UK.

The arts research symposium will focus on the latest developments in this
field, drawing on both academic and artistic perspectives. The day will
include talks from artists contributing work at the festival, and panel
sessions on fictive materials and maker culture.  We welcome submissions
from areas that intersect with the conference themes.

*Themes*
• Human and mechanical motion
• Human-machine interaction and embodiment
• Creative computing and (live) coding
• Robotics in the arts
• Design and physical computing
• Machine creativity
• Algorithm aesthetics
• Mechanical automata in history
• Kinesthesis and art
• Machine choreography
• Maker culture
• Materialities for motion
• Generative design and architecture
• Alternative histories of algorithms and mechanisms

*Keynote speaker *
We will have a keynote by Godfried-Willem Raes, of the Logos foundation,
and who is well known in this country for his work on musical robotics with
Aphex Twin.

*Submissions*
We invite proposals for 15 minute research presentations (10 minutes talk +
5 minutes questions).  Proposals should be a one page abstract describing
the presentation.  Please also submit a short (200-300 word) biography for
each author and an image describing your project. Submissions should be
made in PDF format.

*Call for Performances*In the evening during symposium we are programming
performances (music, dance, robotics, etc.) in the Millennium Gallery in
Sheffield from 7pm (time TBC).

Please submit your proposal describing the performance and indicating the
duration and technical requirements you have. The proposal would typically
be a page with your name, title of the piece, a paragraph description of
the piece, a representative image (if available), a video of past
performance (if available) and a tech spec.
*Submission Process*
Submissions will be selected by a panel chaired by members of the
Experimental Music Technologies (EMuTe) Lab at University of Sussex. Please
email your submission in PDF format [log in to unmask]

*Important Dates*
10th October: Submission Deadline
17th October: Notifications
12th-20th November: AlgoMech Festival