Dear colleagues,

Another reference to bees appears in Gratian's Decretum. The canon In apibus [Causa 7 question 1 c. 41] argues of unity of rule based on the king bee [yes, king], migrating birds following a leader and, as a contrary example, the killing of Remus by Romulus. My research for a paper some years ago showed some popularity among political writers of this argument. Hobbes took up the argument from ants and bees as natural examples of rule and dismissed as not based on reason.

Tom Izbicki

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:55:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Medieval Insects: Bloomsbury Cultural Histories Enquiry

Not to overlook Eugenius of Palermo's later twelfth-century invective in verse against a fly.  It's no. 15 in Marcello Gigante, ed. and tr., _Eugenii Panormitani versus iambici_ (Palermo: Istituto Siciliano di Studi Bizantini e Neoellenici, 1964).  Gigante gives both the original Greek and a fluid Italian translation.

Best,
John Dillon