Hi Sarah

We use the rule of thumb that working on the assignment should take 25% of the time available for the number of credits. (so if the 1500 word essay were worth 10 credits, about 25 hours). There are some references here http://www.celt.mmu.ac.uk/assessment/design/size.php

That doesn’t really answer the question in the subject line, sorry!

Rachel

R Forsyth BSc MBA PhD SFHEA

Associate Head

Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching

1st Floor, All Saints

Manchester Metropolitan University

Manchester M15 6BG

+44 (0) 161 247 1128