Dear all,

I am writing to invite you to

Prof. Enrico Palandri’s inaugural lecture “Infinite Flow”,

which will be Tuesday 22 November 2016, from 6:30 to 7:30 pm at UCL.

The event is free but reservation is required. Please go to

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/infinite-flow-tickets-28418735202

www.eventbrite.co.uk
Poetry and novels are metaphors: they weave the defined and the undefined into the same fabric by means of a unique flow of words. This flow is the thread, intrinsically resilient to political strategies, with which we mend our conflicts. When we read we articulate different attitudes within ourselves, whether taking to heart the vicissitudes of the heroes of Stendhal and Manzoni or following the nomadic characters of Joyce and W.G. Sebald; school curricula lead this conversation towards a sense of national identity. Focusing on the composition of  l’infinito (1819) by  Giacomo Leopardi (1798 –1837), one of the most radical thinkers of the nineteenth century, Professor Enrico Palandri will re-construct how the contrast between politics and metaphysics is ultimately nationless. Lecturer: Professor Enrico Palandri, UCL Italian Inaugural lectures are an opportunity for recently-promoted professors to exhibit to the wider UCL community, and the public outside UCL, a flavour of their intellectual

to reserve your free tickets and find more information about the location.

If you need it, you can find more information about the speaker here:

http://www.indigo-sandbox.ucl.ac.uk/selcs/italian/research-excellence/staff/enrico-palandri

and here is a brief description of the event:

Poetry and novels are metaphors: they weave the defined and the undefined into the same fabric by means of a unique flow of words. This flow is the thread, intrinsically resilient to political strategies, with which we mend our conflicts. When we read we articulate different attitudes within ourselves, whether taking to heart the vicissitudes of the heroes of Stendhal and Manzoni or following the nomadic characters of Joyce and W.G. Sebald; school curricula lead this conversation towards a sense of national identity.

Focusing on the composition of  l’infinito (1819) by  Giacomo Leopardi (1798 –1837), one of the most radical thinkers of the nineteenth century, Professor Enrico Palandri will re-construct how the contrast between politics and metaphysics is ultimately nationless.

ALL WELCOME!

Thanks,

Beatrice

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies