Systematic reviews in clinical education: Lessons from a BEME systematic review of undergraduate medical education in the General Practice setting

London BEME International Collaborating Centre (London BICC)

 Date: Weds 19 October 17.00-18.30

Location: Room 944 UCL Institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way, London, WC1H 0NR

Speaker: Dr Sophie Park, Senior Lecturer in Primary Care at UCL Medical School

This presentation will focus on some of the methodological challenges and developments we tackled during this review. We will discuss how these relate more broadly to doing systematic reviews in clinical education, and producing BEME reviews. The systematic review produced a descriptive review summarising placements reported in the literature. We also conducted 2 in-depth syntheses. One used quantitative comparative studies to explore questions about the effectiveness of placements. A second in-depth synthesis used qualitative studies to explore the theoretical and conceptual underpinnings of placements reported in the literature, using a meta-ethnography approach. As a second stage of the review, we took the findings of the meta-ethnography to patient and student participants, to embed patient and public participation (PPI) into the research synthesis process. We audio-transcribed their interpretations and responses to the review, then used these to further refine the models. In this presentation, we will discuss both the findings and methodologies used during this review.

Biography: Dr. Sophie Park is a GP and Senior Lecturer in Primary Care at UCL Medical School, a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Chair of the Society of Academic Primary Care (SAPC) Education Research Group, and a Co-Director of the London BICC (Best Evidence in Medical Education International Collaboration Centre).

For any further information contact [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

or visit the London BICC website http://beme.org.uk/index.html

Please share with colleagues who you think maybe interested in this seminar. Apologies for cross posting