Dear all,

You may have already heard that the Government are carrying out a Consultation for their Review of Museums.  https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/review-of-museums-in-england

I shall be submitting a response on behalf of the Geological Curators' Group and have copied the questions below for your interest. If you have strong thoughts on any of these questions then please let me know and I'll see if I can add them to our response.

It would be good if as many members of the GCG could submit their own responses too. It is possible to submit anonymously in case you are worried about appearing to represent the thoughts of your institution.

All the best,

Giles

Dr C. Giles Miller, Collections Manager, Micropalaeontology, Petrology and Ores
Chairman, Geological Curators' Group
Department of Earth Sciences, Natural History Museum, London SW7 5BD, UK
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; @cgilesmiller; @NHM_Micropalaeo
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/our-science/departments-and-staff/staff-directory/giles-miller.html
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/blogs/micropalaeo

Over and above core funding, what do you think are the top three challenges for museums and galleries in England over the next decade and how could these be addressed? Please write in a challenge in each box on the left and on the right indicate how it could be addressed.

Over and above core funding, what do you think are the top three opportunities for museums and galleries in England over the next decade and how could these be best exploited? Please write in an opportunity in each box on the left and on the right indicate how it could be exploited.

What do you think needs to be done to ensure the financial sustainability of the museums and galleries sector in England over the next decade?

Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statement: "Government should fund museums and galleries":

We know that a lot of excellent work is already going on throughout the museums and galleries sector in England. We would welcome examples of recent best practice in the following areas:

a. Partnership working, including with museums, cultural, education and business sectors

b. Shared services, including storage and conservation

c. Diversifying income, including from commercial activities, fundraising and sponsorship

d. Digital including collections management, digital services and programming

e. Programming including exhibitions, education and outreach

f. Diversifying workforce and/or audiences

Is there anything else you would like to tell us about the wider museums and galleries sector in England and how it could be better supported by government or other statutory bodies, including the Arts Council England, Heritage Lottery Fund and Local Authorities?

We would like to know a bit more about the museum, gallery or sector body you work for or volunteer with.  Do you represent a:

  *   National Museum
  *   Local authority run museum
  *   Trust run museum
  *   Independent museum