Hi Maaike,

Perhaps you haven't seen: I answered this question when it was originally posted to the FreeSurfer mailing list. Please, see here:
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/fr[log in to unmask]msg49096.html

All the best,

Anderson

On 10 October 2016 at 05:43, maaike rive <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi all,

I was adviced to use PALM for permutation of non-orthogonal surface data. However, I have some questions  regarding the design matrix en contrast files to be used in PALM, and I was hoping someone using the mailing list could help me out.

I have a complex design and I would like to test for interactions as well for subgroups; in addition, I have several covariates. If I use the following collumns:

A1 B1 A2 B2 cov1 cov2 cov3
I assumed I can at least test for the effects of A vs B (1 - 1 1 -1 0 0 0) and 1 vs 2 (1 1 -1 -1 0 0 0) and interactions (1 -1 -1 1 0 0 0).

Q1:
Is it true that I cannot compare subgroups, because columns denoted zero will be handeled as being a covariate? i.e. the contrast 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 is inappropriate and I would have to build a new design matrix (A1 B1 cov1 cov2 cov3)? This is what I was told previously when using randomise for DTI data, but I'm not sure PALM works the same way.

Q2:
What I also understood from randomise is that you have to define both 1 -1 and -1 1; there is no option for a 2tailed t-test or F test. Is that correct and does it also apply to PALM?

Thanks,

Maaike