Hi Sherry,

As long as A, B, and C are all binary masks, either of your approaches will work fine.

Cheers,

Paul

On 18 October 2016 at 06:25, Yu Chen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi there,

I have a question about the exclusive masking analysis in FSL using the command "fslmaths".

We can look at between two results, with the command "fslmaths", if a region is specifically correlated to one of these results (e.g., to show Y without X). My problem is that, however, I have three results. I wonder if we could use "fslmaths" to exclude two results from the remaining one. For example, I have three results: A, B and C. Could I use this command to show A without B, and without C at the same time?

Actually I tried something. But I am not sure if they are correct.

Firstly, I binarized all three maps at the beginning. Could I do something like:
1. Exclude B from A:
fslmaths B.nii.gz -mul -1 -add 1 -mul A.nii.gz exclusive_B_from_A.nii.gz
2. Exclude C from exclusive_B_from_A.nii.gz
fslmaths C.nii.gz -mul -1 -add 1 -mul exclusive_B_from_A.nii.gz Only_A.nii.gz

OR:
1. Exclude B from A:
fslmaths B.nii.gz -mul -1 -add 1 -mul A.nii.gz exclusive_B_from_A.nii.gz
2. Exclude C from A:
fslmaths C.nii.gz -mul -1 -add 1 -mul A.nii.gz exclusice_C_from_A.nii.gz
3. Overlap these two results:
fslmaths exclusive_B_from_A.nii.gz -mul exclusive_C_from_A.nii.gz Only_A.nii.gz

I got same results from these two ways. But I am thinking that I might miss something as I implemented the exclusive masking twice.

Hope it makes sense. I would greatly appreciate if you could have a look and advise me how to proceed.

Kind regards,

Sherry

Sherry Chen
PhD Candidate

Neuroscience Research Australia
Margarete Ainsworth Building
Barker Street Randwick Sydney NSW 2031 Australia
M 0450 969 366 T +61 2 9399 1146