Hi Michelle,

Please see below:

On 25 October 2016 at 16:50, Michelle VanTieghem <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Anderson,
>
> Thanks for this model! To clarify the statistics underlying this model, is
> this performing a mixed effects model for the 2(between) x 3(within)
> interaction, or a repeated measures ANOVA?

These names don't really help much. The best is to show the designs. In any
case, the first is testing only within-subject effects, including the
interaction, which is also a within-subject effect, whereas the second is
testing between-subject effects. It uses repeated measurements. It is an
analysis of variance.

> I have a couple of questions regarding the implementation of this model in
> PALM, since I have not used PALM before. The design.ods you provided
> actually contains 2 separate files, and each of those files includes the
> design.mat and design.con for (a) the 2x3 interaction and (b) the main
> effect of group across all 3 conditions.

Exactly.

> (1) I cannot find an example in PALM user information where one can enter
> 2 separate design.mats and design.cons into the same command. Are they
> supposed to be entered as separate files, or is there a way to combine the
> files in a way that will perform both models simultaneously?

Use something as:

palm -i data.nii -d design1.mat -t design1.con -d design2.mat -t
design2.con -eb blocks.csv -whole -within -corrcon [...]

> (2) The EB column represents the exchangability blocks, within subjects.
> In the example provided, there should be a separate "blocks.csv" file input
> for the PALM command. [[palm -i modality1_4d.nii -d design.mat -t
> design.con -eb blocks.csv]] What is supposed to go into the blocks.csv
> file? If the EBs are already included within my design.mat file, do I also
> need a blocks.csv file?

Yes.

> (3) I have not added F-tests to a design.con file before (only in the
> GUI). Is this already in the appropriate format such that the F-test is
> indicated by the final column in the design.con file, and the rows with no
> F-test indicated are just empty?

You can ignore the F-tests shown in the design. Use instead the option
-corrcon. If however you were to create them, they are specified as .fts
files in the same way as in randomise or FEAT.

> (4) I would also like to include covariates of sex and Age (continuous).
> Can you advise how to modify this design to account for continuous
> covariates? Are they just added as separate EVs within the design.mat file?

If age and sex don't change between the 3 measurements per subject, these
don't need to be entered in design1, as the subject-specific EVs already
account for that. For design2, you can add extra EVs for age and sex.

>  (5) In addition, I would like to run a separate model to test the Age x
> Group x Emotion interaction. Is it possible to test a 3-way interaction
> with a continuous variable within this  model framework in PALM?

Yes, it is. Please see design3 here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/
2785709/outbox/mailinglist/design_michelle.ods
Design1 and design2 are the same.

All the best,

Anderson