* Apologies for cross posting *

‘LONE PARENTS IN THE UK TODAY’ Conference: Call for Abstracts (Deadline Friday 14 October)

The Nuffield Foundation, 28 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3JS

Over the past decade, single parents in the UK have been affected by a number of benefit changes emphasising their obligations to be in employment. At the same time, cuts to benefits and services and an increasingly punitive policy approach have made it harder than ever for lone parents to juggle the demands of employment and childcare.

This one-day conference aims to bring academics with a research interest in lone parents together with representatives from government departments, think tanks and the voluntary sector. It will provide the opportunity to share current research on lone parents and social policy in the UK today, exchange ideas and form new networks.

Call for Abstracts

We invite submissions of abstracts from scholars in all disciplines and from a range of professional and personal backgrounds for any of the following three streams:

1.   Lone Parents and Partnership Dissolution and Formation;

2.   Lone Parents and Unemployment;

3.   Lone Parents and Universal Credit.

We also welcome submissions addressing current issues surrounding lone parenthood outside of these streams. Submissions from postgraduate and early careers researchers are particularly encouraged.

Submission Information and Guidelines

Interested scholars are kindly asked to send an abstract of 200-300 words with the names, affiliations and contact details of contributing author(s) to [log in to unmask]. The deadline for submission is Friday 14th October, 2016. Notifications of acceptance will be sent within one week of the deadline.

Please feel free to contact the conference organisers (details below) for any further information required.

We look forward to receiving your submission.

Conference Organisers

Tina Haux                  Helen Kowalewska

University of Kent        University of Southampton

[log in to unmask]         [log in to unmask]