{apologies for cross posting}

Greetings!

My name is Jane Henderson and I am an undergraduate student at the University of San Diego working in collaboration with Rich Pirog, director of the Center for Regional Food Systems (CRFS) at Michigan State University (MSU). This past summer I was a Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP) student at MSU.

Rich and I are in the process of providing updates for a fourth edition to the CRFS Annotated Bibliography on Structural Racism Present in the U.S. Food System.

This publication is an annotated bibliography of selected resources and publications focused on recent research and outreach on structural racism in the U.S. food system. It has been updated in January 2016 to include an additional 25 citations, and digital object identifiers (doi) for many of the peer-reviewed publications.  The mission of CRFS is to engage Michigan, the United States and the world in applied research, education and outreach to develop regionally integrated, sustainable food systems. Part of that work includes a commitment to understanding the ways in which power and inequity manifest within the food system, such as structural racism.

Rich and I are asking for your help in identifying additional citations to update the bibliography. We are seeking citations that refer to research, analysis, outreach, and commentary on BOTH structural racism AND the U.S. food system. While there are many important resources on racism and anti-racism in the U.S., or on the state of the food system, our key filter for inclusion in the bibliography is a link between structural racismand one or more aspects of the food system.

These additional citations can be peer-reviewed journal articles, peer critiqued articles, reports, or bulletins, books and other published resources. We will not be including blogs, newspaper articles, tweets, etc. because of the sheer volume of these resources.

Once a suggestion is submitted there will be a simple vetting process to determine the fit of submission; please note that not all submissions may be included in the fourth edition. We hope to publish the fourth edition by the end of 2016.

We would like as many suggestions as possible. Share this widely on list servs and with colleagues, friends, who may have additional resources!

Deadline for submission of a citation is Sunday October 30th, 2016 at 11:59pm, PST.

Send all submissions or questions to Jane Henderson, janehenderson@sandiego.edu

When making a submission please include:

      Author (s), Title & web link to easily identify the submission

      (If available – full citation in APA format)

This is the link to the call for citations on the MSU CRFS website

http://foodsystems.msu.edu/news/call-for-citations-4th-edition-of-annotated-bibliography-on-structural-racism-in-the-food-system

Here is a link to the 3rd Edition of An Annotated Bibliography on Structural Racism Present in the U.S. Food System

http://foodsystems.msu.edu/resources/structural_racism_in_us_food_system

Additionally, here is a link for more information about the Center for Regional Food Systems at Michigan State University.

http://foodsystems.msu.edu/

Thank you for your suggestions in helping us with this critical project!

Sincerely,

Jane Henderson, University of San Diego

Rich Pirog, Center for Regional Food Systems, Michigan State University

--
Jane Henderson
University of San Diego '17 | Ethnic Studies & Spanish