Connie, before you leave, I'd like to apologise for my part in the dreary quarrel that may well have set off a mass exodus. On several occasions before this last week I've started looking for the exit and not been sure where it is, so someone else will have to help.
Jamie

On 31 Oct 2016, at 00:14, Connie Voisine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

can someone tell me how to unenroll?

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 6:00 PM, BRITISH-IRISH-POETS automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Topics of the day:

  1. Poetry and Stupidity
  2. The "problem" of prosody (13)
  3. Snowden, Eno, Levy, Alcalay
  4. Shearsman Reading
  5. Appeal to moderators
  6. The use(s) of criticism

Date:    Sun, 30 Oct 2016 07:15:00 +0000
From:    David Bircumshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Poetry and Stupidity

Definitely. I particularly like the requirement for vacancy and the
necessity for fooling around and BEING WITHOUT A PLAN   :

http://poems.com/special_features/prose/essay_raab_stupidity.php

--
David Joseph Bircumshaw

https://spectares-web.000webhostapp.com/

The Animal Subsides http://www.arrowheadpress.co.uk/books/animal.html
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/david.bircumshaw
Tumblr: http://zantikus.tumblr.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/bucketshave
blog: http://groggydays.blogspot.com/

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 30 Oct 2016 11:21:38 +0000
From:    Tim Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: The "problem" of prosody

Sorry Robin but I really do not understand your second sentence below - particularly the pedestal thing, and as for 'unique adoration', well. this is so far from the truth it's ridiculous and I don't know what I've said here that makes you think it.

One of the biggest problems with the way lists like this function is the way we often have to repeat something we said a lot earlier in the exchanges, and when there is a lot of it and followed by hundreds of other posts it just gets lost.

Near the start of the discussion I mentioned the fact that I had very mixed and complicated feelings regarding Dylan, both the man and the output, and I think I even said somewhere that I never put anybody on a pedestal, ever. The fact that culturally Dylan is on a pedestal has got nothing to do with me, but of course I will have opinions regarding that fact. So, what the hell are you talking about?

Regarding the 'ripping him out of his context'? Which context? Dylan it seems to me has always questioned and ripped himself out of 'contexts'. Are you saying that the tradition Dylan walked into is the only context that is important? And so much could be said about that so-called  'tradition' at the time anyway, the folk boom of the early 60's America, with its various colours and disparate roots, let alone the way it evolved in urban liberal coffee houses frequented mainly by young, white, radically political and culturally liberal middle class 'folk', that it is just meaningless to refer to Dylan as some sort of 'inheritor' of anything.

Where you are exactly coming from Robin, on this topic, needs clarification.

Cheers

Tim