And that 'anyway' in the last sentence should be 'any way'. I'm going to start taking longer writing my error ridden posts,
Jamay

On 29 Oct 2016, at 16:50, Jamie McKendrick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

His relation to a tradition of song is something I believe Dylan also holds dear, and that informs the words as well as the music. He often gets spoken of as an absolute singularity, and the Nobel merely adds to that, so for me the image of him singing beside Blind Willie McTell is really important. I mentioned two of his most obvious and often noticed influences earlier - Woodie Guthrie and Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music. But Dylan from the very start has been astonishingly eclectic and I think that has contributed to the breadth and durability of his appeal. Earlier, Mark (I'm not quoting exactly) argued that he was always a better artist than the 'folkies' were. I take this, in part, to be a reference to the1965 Newport Folk Festival where he was benightedly booed by a section of the audience for going electric. But the American folk tradition which obviously and crucially includes Blues, and I would say Jazz as well, is one of the glories of world, not just US, culture, so seeing Dylan within it is not in anyway to diminish him.
Jamie