Robin, I'm not up to speed on Saussure, but I think I get the point with regard to literature that "the thing was already there" or in the theoretical jargon "always already there".
  You've lost me with the 'isochronic' - is this to do with brainwave activity?
  The issue of intentionalism has cropped up a few times already (in some of the weirdest contexts) but I'm not convinced by Tim's idea of an "exaggerated concept of intentionalism" or perhaps I haven't understood how it relates to Dylan and have missed something important. My first response to this is that the artist's intention - let's say how someone thinks about their work - is of secondary importance. Anyway it's only ever something we can infer, because even the author is not the ultimate authority. No one is. That said, we know that all human activity, and that very much includes art, has intent. That in art even accident is controlled accident - it's kept in the work, in other words, if it's seen to help. But perhaps I'm missing the point.
   I'm grateful that you at least have understood the two points I was making at the outset. Even I don't fully agree myself with the second point, and quite quickly admitted it was a 'mild provocation' - it was putting in exaggerated terms the view that though I do indeed think very highly of Dylan as a singer I don't think that much of him as a poet. As it happens, I don't believe my position, such as it is, has changed much from my second post on. Though if it were to have changed, I don't see that as a problem. If a stance is modified it suggests the one who held it has been open to persuasion. That would seem to me a healthy effect of discussion. It would only be considered a failing by those who believe that maintaining an inflexible position is a form of strength and sanity.
Jamie

Sent from my iPad